Pages

Tuesday 7 January 2020

SLJ DAY 2 Activity 2

Activity 2: One Small Step for Man [4 points]
Neil Armstrong was an American astronaut and engineer. In 1969, Neil and his team of astronauts flew to the moon in a spacecraft called Apollo 11. When they arrived, Neil got out of the spacecraft and walked on the moon. He is the first person in history to walk on the moon! As Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon, he famously said, “That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.”
As you can imagine, landing on the moon is a very dangerous task. Many things can go wrong, and a number of astronauts have died attempting to land on the moon. Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins (the three astronauts on Apollo 11) must have been extremely brave.
I always imagine that walking on the moon must be like jumping on the trampoline! Do you like jumping on a trampoline? My daughter Laila loves it!
For this activity, let’s imagine that you were Neil Armstrong.
On your blog, write a short poem describing how you felt when you first set foot on the moon. Here is a link to some different poetry forms.
*Remember to attribute any images that you borrow from the internet or from other people.
*Please check out the Eye-Catching Blog Posts page for ideas!

The hatch opened and I was so nervous
I'm scared to go out
But strong curiosity pushed me out
I thought I would fall into the universe
But i didn't fall into the universe
And i'm floating
One small step for man one giant leap for mankind
in the universe It ’s like jumping on a trampoline
I put our flag on a planet
Then I went back to the spaceship and the other crew said:
This place is so fun I don't want to go back home now!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jason this is Mrs Collins from Manaiakalani and I'll be commenting on blogs over term break. Well done on posting and participating in the SLJ this year. I really like the poem you created about walking on the moon - would you REALLY like to walk on the moon? I'm not too sure I'd like the journey there... Keep blogging, and commenting on others, to increase your chance of winning one of the awesome prizes and to keep up your learning over the school break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jason, I am so please to read your blogs. I hope you are learning a lot through this summer learning. I liked reading your poem about walking on the moon. Keep on blogging and commenting on other students blogs. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Evening Jason,

    I am Samuel, a Year 7 student attending Sacred Heart College. I am part of a trial period in which they are trying out students to be bloggers, which means it is my first experience with this sort of position. However, I did complete the Summer Learning Journey as a student in previous years.

    I would like to start off by crediting the creativity that is put into writing such a descriptive and creative poem. Do you know what type of poem you have written? I liked some of the metaphors and similes you used to accentuate the drive, excitement and nerve-wrecking feeling that is going to the moon. Considering going on the moon however, I am not certain I would like to travel to the moon.

    This is a very good poem, but it might just need little alterations in a couple of spots with capital letters, however this is very minor and was probably overlooked. Your punctuation on the other hand is absolutely superb and should be well commented on for a Year 6. Well done, Jason.

    Kind Regards,
    Samuel

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.